Tuesday 3 June 2008

C'mon Griffith...

Life is sometimes hard, sometimes, it seems to fall into place. However, sometimes, it throws you curve balls.... Take the saga that I am experiencing at the moment regarding work. Yes, I am still jobless and living with my fiance and her parents. However, a job has come and gone in the intervening period between blogs...

In my last post, I expressed hope regarding a consultancy position that I was being interviewed for. Needless to say, the interview came and I was pleasantly surprised. The CEO of the company (James Warren) actually flew down to Coffs Harbour and then met me in Nambucca for the interview. He basically said that he wanted me for the position and that I would be in a senior/management position by the end of the year in the Brisbane office.... I was gracious in acceptance, but commented on my waiting on an academic position at Griffith Uni. He was happy to wait for the outcome of that, however, as universities are the quintessential bureaucracy, they have taken for ever to get back to me. In the meantime, I got a call last week (two weeks after the interview) from James to inform me that they were 'moving on' and looking at interviewing other people if I didn't accept... To say that I was depressed and disappointed is an understatement; I basically threw away a perfectly good, well-paying job on the hope that I will be shortlisted and hired for the university position... Such are the curve balls of life; dangling a carrot of gold when you dream of a carrot of platinum.

HOWEVER, today I got a call from Griffith University informing me that I have bee shortlisted for an interview for the position. So next Thursday, 12th June at 12.30pm, I have a phone interview from home with a selection panel from the university. FINALLY, after submitting the application in the second week of April, submissions closing on the 8th May, I now know that I have AT LEAST got to the interview stage. I am just hoping that the wait will be worth the reward of actually getting the position...

I will keep you informed....

No comments: