Tuesday 3 June 2008

Bongil Bongil National Park

Following on from the last post, I thought I might post something a bit more intuitively positive. I recently decided to visit some of the nearby national parks and take a few walks and just relax and birdwatch. I went to Bongil Bongil National Park, an area of littoral rainforest just south of Coffs Harbour. Littoral rainforest refers to rainforest with a closed structure and composition which is strongly influenced by proximity to the ocean. And I can tell you, it is weird seeing rainforest within throwing distance of ocean! The bird species list was quite impressive and included rainforest restricted, coastal heath and oceanic species; over 30 in total. It included a 'lifer' for me: Russet-tailed Thrush (Zoothera heinei)...

I did the Bundagen Rainforest Walk (6km return) and the Palm Crossing walk, recording the species of birds seen as well as their abundances. I have now included this information into the online atlas database (Birdata).

I have decided just to show pics below.... experiences don't always need captions...














































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Some fantastic shots here! I've never seen that areas, so here's a great excuse to go explore :)

Hang in there with job thing, I'm sure in the end you'll get something amazing, maybe even unexpected. You're in a supportive environment, and I'm sure they're seeing your choices in good faith.

btw, I'll have to email you the birdlist I made on the Birdsville trip! ;)