Monday 22 October 2007

Dr Jarrad Anthony Cousin and wedding bells...

Well, after 4 and a half years, I have finally finished my PhD and graduated in all the pomp and ceremony befitting a Doctor of Philosophy degree!! Thankfully, it was a beautiful clear day. For years, I was praying for good weather, otherwise the graduation would have been held indoors, with a maximum of two guests. Seeing that my dad had flown from Perth and Rebecca came to the graduation with her parents and sister, it would have been a great shame if it was inside. Anyway, it was a success and actually very warm. My gown was bright red and made of viscose so was quite hot!! Add to that the fluffy big pompous hat, and I was cooking in the sun, although it was not too bad. See the links to other photo's of my graduation.


The other exciting news, as many of those who I have already contacted would know.... is that I am ENGAGED!!! On Monday the 8th October, I suprised Rebecca on our way home from Armidale to Nambucca Heads by proposing in the rainforest of Dorrigo!!! It was on a lookout overlooking the Belligen Valley and I dropped to one knee and asked her to marry me!!!! She was very excited, cried and blurted out an instant yes!! I have never been so nervous in my life... almost dropped the ring through the wooden slats of the lookout!! She loved the ring and can't stop looking at it!! We then got to spend three days up north of the state at Yamba (courtesy of a graduation present from Rebecca's parents). It was a fantastic break with my newly ringed (not really crowned...) finacee, and we enjoyed ourselves immensly eating fine food, driving through beautiful old towns and sugarcane country. I also saw a new species of bird for me: White-breasted Woodswallow, so I was pretty happy with the holiday on many fronts!!!

Anyway, keep your ear to the ground for more info regarding our upcoming wedding: at this stage it is pencilled in for the last weekend of September next year... We are seeing a civil marriage celebrant on Sunday so I will know more info then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! A white-breasted Woodswallow!!

;)

Congrats!! Can't wait to see you both early next year.