Thursday 27 September 2007

Two weeks holiday and graduation!

Tomorrow is my last day at work for two weeks!! This coming Monday (1st October) is Rebecca and my first year anniversary. As it is a public holiday, and my dad is arriving next Wednesday morning for my graduation on Friday, I decided I might as well take Tuesday off as well. I plan to show Dad around Armidale on the Wednesday and Thursday, including showing him some of my PhD field sites to the west of Armidale. Then on Friday I graduate!! YAY!! I get to wear a red cape and a big puffy hat!! I will then be hailed Dr Jarrad Cousin and all will kneel in my presence... BWAHAHAHAHA.... On the Saturday, I will take Dad to the amazing New England National Park on our way to Bec's house for Saturday night!! Then on Sunday, I drive back to Armidale as Dad leaves on Monday morning back to Perth!! he has to start work on Tuesday at 6am!!

As the week following graduation, I am taking that off to spend with Rebecca given that she has finished her 10 weeks of prac. We are going to Yamba (north coast) for 3 days to unwind and get away from everything. Can't wait. For those of you not familiar with this side of the country, I have included below a map showing the drive I undertake every weekend to Rebecca's place in Nambucca Heads. It is by far and away the most scenic drive I have ever driven in Australia, and therefore recommend it highly. It is not called "The Waterfall Way" for nothing, with MANY opportunities to see stunning waterfalls in deep gorges and along steep rainforest on the drive down Dorrigo mountain. I recently took some photos along the section from Nambucca Heads to Dorrigo... I will post them as soon as I can find my camera cord to get them off the camera (?).


I have also included this map below showing the location of Yamba in relation to Armidale, Nambucca Heads, Port Macquarie, Byron Bay, Brisbane etc etc. Do you know that Armidale is closer to Brisbane than Sydney!??? Note that I don't notate the location of Tamworth to the SW of Armidale.... because it sucks.... too many Acubra Hat wearing, tight jean wearing, yee haaing rednecks for my liking.... I will post pictures of my graduation and announce other things in my next post.................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will see you at your Grad!

Anonymous said...

I agree the drive along the waterfall way is fantastic-love to watch when the vegetation changes to mosre lush and green.

You might be interested in looking at the photos I've posted at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24725978@N00/ This is where we went the long weekend-apart from having to drive the last bit on dirt (I want to be a rally driver), it was fairly painless getting there. It was worth the drive as you can see from the photos. This is the first time I've ever been there and it's only about 60 kms from Grafton! http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heifer+station+road+nsw&sll=-29.554289,152.736568&sspn=0.009874,0.014226&ie=UTF8&ll=-29.398029,152.587223&spn=0.039558,0.056906&z=14&om=1