Sunday 1 February 2009

Our veggie garden - Day 14

Well, the veggie garden has been growing for 14 days now (seedlings planted on the 18th Jan), and there have been mixed results. The basil has grown crazy, and we have used it in a variety of dishes from bolognese sauce to topping on pizza. The tomatoes and capsicum have not grown so much, and I suspect that they may be over-watered. Today, I bought some more seedlings as well as some wooden stakes to lay the growing containers over to keep them off the ground. This should help drainage. The other seedlings I bought were zucchini and spring onions. From a single punnet, I managed to tease apart well over 50 onions!!

I have to say, today's gardening was one of the most relaxing and therapeutic afternoons I have had in a very long time: the weather was coolish, overcast with a light wind. Now, there may be some out there that would suggest I should 'harden the fu*k up' and get with the 'pig-rooting' and 'chick-shooting' mentality or whatever it is :), but try it out!! You'd be surprised! There is something very satisfying about not only watching things grow, but harvesting your own food!!

I will post the photos of the other seedlings and the new setup soon....... and the house photos..... hopefully even sooner.....

No comments: