Sunday 31 May 2009

Away to Cairns

Well, now that my Birds Australia Conservation Forum talk is over (I will post link to the actual powerpoint presentation soon in case anybody wishes to read it; the day was a fantastic success and not only did I got some real positive feedback, but my findings could well be incorporated into management in the future), I am now looking forward to a trip to Cairns tomorrow morning with my close friend Ryan Phillips, and his mate Myles Menz, whom I am looking forward to meeting. We are heading up to Cairns for a week of solid birdwatching througohut the Cairns region including visiting everywhere from the Atherton Tablelands in the south to Cape Tribulation to the north. Now, in terms of species, there are a GREAT number of amazing species in this region that I am looking forward to seeing. One of the highlights would be the Golden Bowerbird, which we are hoping to spot in the high altitude forests of the Tablelands. However, there are so many other species to look forward to; some common and some rare. Macleays Honeyeaters are just stunning, and although probably common, will be a highlight. There there is the Blue-faced Parrot-finch, which could be a bit harder to spot, but will be a highlight also. HEY, who am I kidding, ALL species will be a highlight from the small Mountain Thornbill to the Southern Cassowary. I will give a detailed report once I return, with heaps of pictures and stories!!

No comments: