Friday 31 October 2008

Fieldwork journal...

A small part of my work over the next two months is fieldwork in Toohey Forest; a 640 hectare forest block surrounding the Nathan campus of Griffith University. The map below shows the location of Griffith University in relation to the centre of Brisbane. The approximate boundaries of Toohey Forest are shown outlined black. It encompasses the Nathan campus of the uni and, to the east of the Pacific Motorway, the Mt Gravatt campus.

The picture below shows an aerial image of Toohey. In this image you can see the Nathan campus of Griffith Uni (where I work) at the bottom of the forest block, surrounded by the ‘Ring road’. The smaller Mt Gravatt campus is obvious to the right of the Pacific Motorway, which cuts down the middle of the forest! Interestingly, the large stadiums to the bottom right of the campus is where the 1982 Commonwealth Games were held….. bit of random trivia there!! As you can see from this pic, the forest is rather large!!

The forest is divided into 10 sectors (see figure below), and over 10 weeks, I will be surveying a part of every sector. I say a part of every sector, because there are a number of other observers also assisting. The aim at the end of the summer survey period is to have surveyed every sector 5 times; attempting to cover every part of Toohey Forest including all edges, gullies, hilltops and even the campus.

This has been undertaken over many years, with data stretching back to the early 90s. In short, this data will effectively represent a control model, by allowing us to compare what is happening in the greater Brisbane area with what is happening in Toohey Forest. What I intend to do over the next 10 weeks is present the species lists and details of each of the 10 surveys, in case anyone is interested in what I see! Needless to say, doing bird surveys can be quick taxing on your sleep patterns. In order to be out in the field just after dawn, (and given that QLD does not have daylight saving), I need to be up by 4.30am and am in the field by 5 – 5.15am!! ANYWAY, onto the results of my first survey. The first sector that I surveyed is Sector 7 on the morning of 29th October 2008.

Date: 29th October 2008
Time: 0530 - 0810
Sector: 7
Number of species seen: 23
Number of birds seen: 174

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike (1)
Galah (3)
Grey Butcherbird (4)
Grey Shrike-thrush (2)
Laughing Kookaburra (1)
Mistletoebird (5)
Noisy Miner (25)
Pale-headed Rosella (4)
Pied Currawong (1)
Rainbow Bee-eater (1)
Rainbow Lorikeet (48)
Red-backed Fairy-wren (13)
Rufous Whistler (1)
Sacred Ibis (1)
Sacred Kingfisher (6)
Scarlet Honeyeater (4)
Silvereye (11)
Spotted Pardalote (2)
Striated Pardalote (3)
Torresian Crow (6)
Variegated Fairy-wren (6)
White-throated Honeyeater (11)
Yellow-faced Honeyeater (15)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

good evening dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices for the sneakers were all over 210 bucks everwhere. But finally I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hmm that's amazing but frankly i have a hard time figuring it... wonder what others have to say..

Anonymous said...

good afternoon everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching allowing for regarding that singular model. The prices for the boots are all over 350 pounds everwhere. But finally I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello fellas. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that particular brand. The prices seeking the boots are around 350 pounds everwhere. But definitively I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi there people. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that exact model. The prices seeking the boots are about 210 dollars everwhere. But finally I bring about this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

This article is a great help to me! Thank you!