Friday 1 February 2008

Working in WA!!

Hello everybody.....

It has been so long since I have messaged people. I am currently working for 8 weeks in WA as a consultant zoologist for an environmental consultant company (Coffey Environments). I have already worked in Laverton for 4 days and am currently working at Mt Gibson in the NE wheatbelt. We commute to the exploration minesite from Dallwallinu, a town 120km away. We wake in the morning at 4.30am, leave the accommodation by 5.15am and start work at 6.30am! We check 960 traps every morning; in woodland, sandplain and rocky hilltop habitats!! We have caught about 800 animals so far including about 15 - 20 dunnarts (small marsupial mice), with the rest made up of skinks, goannas, blind snakes, gekkos and true snakes (pythons and elapids).

I have attached a photo album of all the photos to date. I apologise if there are any double-ups, but I dont have much time to edit them as I am at a telecentre in Dallwallinu.

We have been here at Mt Gibson since the 22nd Jan and have worked every day (sometimes from 6.30am to 6.30pm) INCLUDING weekends AND Australia day public holiday!!! We leave here on the 7th February, I have 4 days off (including going to my mate Vinh's wedding) and then I leave for the Pilbara and work there for 4 weeks straight (once again, no breaks!!). We will be setting up a fauna trapping regime that will be the biggest ever undertaken in WA and potentially in Australia!!! It is in the Pilbara that I will be let loose on the birds of the region, and it will be my responsibility to collate a species list (with numbers) of all the birds on the proposed mine site!! I CANT WAIT!!! I also cant wait to actually get back to the east coast to see Bec, but the money that I earn here will help set us up!!!!

TAKE CARE EVERYBODY, AND CHECK OUT THE PICS!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow cool! Great to hear it's going well. Thanks for the pics, what a nice treat :)

Anonymous said...

mmm, coffey.